The mission of Extension Human Resources is to maintain a fair, equitable, and positive work environment for all employees, in support of the mission of the Extension Service. It is based upon the belief that the success of any organization, and its ultimate value, is primarily dependent upon its people; and that the development of the greatest potential for each employee will create job satisfaction and career opportunities for individuals and provide maximum benefit to the organization.
This mission is accomplished through the following major objectives:
- Provide employees with the tools, training, and knowledge that will motivate them to perform in the most effective and efficient manner. Regard planned training, education, and employee development activities as an investment to promote individual success and to increase overall value to the organization.
- Inspire and encourage a high level of employee morale through recognition, effective communication, and providing constant feedback. Communicate freely and encourage open discussion with employees on all matters related to their work and association with Extension. Regularly review employee performance, establishing clear objectives and providing relevant and positive feedback to assure continued development, with the objective of achieving an environment of involvement, commitment, empowerment, and productivity.
- Through positive programs of hiring, career development, and promotion, promote a diverse workforce that recognizes each person as an individual in a safe and discrimination/harassment free environment.
- Facilitate change management and the pursuit of excellence in all employee programs, and influence positive employee-management relationships.
- Establish, administer, and communicate sound policies and practices that treat employees with dignity and equality while maintaining compliance with applicable law, policy, and regulation.
- Provide professional human resources consultation to the organization regarding staffing, organizational effectiveness, training and development, compensation, social justice, Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action, benefits administration, and related practices.
- Recruit and hire the most qualified employees, by: pre-planning staffing needs; ensuring an effective review process; increasing our visibility in the marketplace; identifying the best and most cost effective recruitment sources; and conducting thorough reference checks. Promote from within, whenever possible, especially when it is beneficial to the employee and to the organization.
- Retain our valued employees by: providing professional training in effective management techniques that will assure effective leadership qualities in our managers; providing competitive wages and benefits and administering individual salaries and promotions in a manner that recognizes the relative value of each position and that rewards individual performance; providing technical, interpersonal, and career development training and coaching; conducting exit interviews and supplying relevant feedback to management; and enhancing communication between employees and management.
- Provide a safe, efficient, and attractive work environment through maintenance of good physical working conditions, proper work practices and safeguards, and the fostering of harmonious work relationships among all employees.